Free School Meals
Letter to parents for Free School Meals - how to apply if you are in receipt of benefits
All children in EYFS and KS1 are entitled to free school meals. When children move up to KS2 those in receipt of the benefits below must apply for free school meals otherwise you will be charged for your child to have school lunches.
If you are in receipt of the benefits listed below you do not need to pay for school meals.
You meet the criteria if you receive any of the following benefits:
- Universal Credit with an annual net earned income of no more than £7,400
- Income Support
- income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit, (with no Working Tax Credit) with an annual income of no more than £16,190
- Working Tax Credit 'run-on' (paid for the four weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
If you are eligible for Free School Meals, and you apply, our school will also benefit. The government has introduced the Pupil Premium Grant to help children from lower income families reach their full potential and to achieve higher academic grades at school.
Under this funding arrangement, primary schools receive £1,320 / Secondary schools £900 for every pupil registered for free school meals; so it is really important to us to make sure every child that qualifies is actually registered.
All school meals are required to meet the nutritional standards set out by the School Food Trust. Our school meals are fresh, healthy, nutritious and varied. Our school meal menu is available to view on the website
Children in our school are asked at morning registration if they are school dinners or packed lunches. Children eligible for Free School Meals will ask for ‘school dinner’. Dinner money is handled by the office so teachers and pupils do not need to know whether it is a free school meal or not.
If you believe you are entitled to free school meals, the application form can be found below or alternatively please contact the school 01255 425344 if you would like the form emailed to you.